Eating gluten-free is soooo much easier when you are eating dairy... for example, one of my comfort food staples, mac-n-cheese can be enjoyed and loved.
Let me give you the recipe...
Mac-n-Cheese with Chorizo
2/3 package of Catelli gluten-free penne (that's the amount I had left!)
2 cups of milk (1%)
2.5 tbsp corn starch
cheddar cheese to taste
parmesan to taste plus more for sprinkle on top
gluten-free panko to sprinkle on top
1. Cut up the chorizo and fry it until it's crispy
2. Boil the pasta until it's almost done, then drain
3. While the pasta is cooking, put the milk in a small saucepan with corn starch
4. Stir the milk until it starts to bubble and thicken up
5. Stir in cheese and let it melt
6. Mix the cheese, pasta, and chorizo and mix in a bit of mustard
7. Oh yeah, and salt and pepper it up!
8. Pour the pasta mix in the pan, sprinkle with parmesan and bread crumbs
9. Spray some cooking spray on the bread crumbs
10. Bake in a 425 oven for 15 minutes then broil for 5 minutes
11. Let set for 5 or 10 minutes
I really enjoyed this. I didn't want to get into figuring out how to make a roux or anything fancy, so corn starch in milk worked a treat. I loved the mac n cheese and will definitely be making it again!
Hope you like it too!