15 March 2014

It happened to me and I am telling you so it doesn't happen to you...

Oh the wacky world of diet and exercise.

A few years ago... I watched my diet, religiously following Weight Watchers. Lost some weight. Fulfilled my truly lifelong dream of starting a running regime. Ran some 5Ks, some 10Ks, even completed a half marathon in sub 2:30. I was riding high.

But then, I stopped running so much. But I didn't stop eating the way I did when I was running. I 'knew' Weight Watchers, so I stopped counting points. Then WW changed and I just lost the plot on the new program, not liking the new points values and the moral-feeling judgment it made regarding my food choices.

I gained a bit of weight back. Not a ton, but about 10 pounds on any given day. It held steady. I ran off and on but never again with regularity, distance, or the verve I had in the beginning. I played around with WW, gluten-free, dairy-free, and felt better then worse then better then worse then fine then better then worse then fine and so on and so on.

And it just never got better. As the weight bounced, so did all the other things that running and weight loss had helped. Anxiety, tiredness, all of it... it's been no good. And as that kept going, I became more and more unable to get my head around what was going on with me.

I can't say that I have it figured out, but I can see the path of this destruction pretty clearly right now.

I kept acting like I was the thinner and more active me. And that's got to change.

So, what is the plan? I am going to be on a much cleaner diet, I am going to track my food on my fitbit (or maybe noom - it's an app - anyone using that?), and I am going to be more active. I am going to run three days a week and do something else at least two days a week. I am going to meditate for 5 minutes every morning. I am going to make this work for me. I know how to do it, I've done it before...

1 comment:

Sally said...

I relate to this so much! When I eat healthy food and exercise, then I feel so great and calm and able to cope. But when I eat junk food and don't exercise, I feel down in the dumps and can't seem to figure out why.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails