08 March 2011

Barley Risotto.

One of my favourite blogs, Girl Interrupted Eating, has such a way with food and words.  And she just seems so totally British.  She seems to make the things that I see the contestants on MasterChef make, just because she's creative and in love with local ingredients.  I just love her blog and for the first time ever have made one of her recipes.

Should have known it would be delicious... how could it not be?  Barley, stock, chicken, carrots, all cooked together in the over?  Bring it...


I made a few tweaks on her recipe... but here's the overall picture of the meal...

Pearl Barley Oven Risotto with Chicken 


You need:


2 carrots chopped
3 shallots diced
1 clove of garlic (I used the press bc while it's wasteful, my hands don't stink)
2.5 cups of chicken broth
2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, cut into cubes
200g of barley
14 ounces of tinned chopped tomatoes
Goat Cheese, soft, to taste


Cook the chicken cubes to just starting to brown.  Remove from pan and soften the shallot, carrot and garlic in the pan adding salt and pepper and a little bit of oil.  Add water as necessary to keep from burning or over browning.  Once softened, mix in the broth, barley, and tomatoes.  Add the chicken back to the pan and give it a stir.  Bring to a simmer, cover and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.  When ready, put a little bit of the soft goat cheese on each plate to mix in and make unctuous.  


So it was delicious and just a happy tasty bowl of goodness.  I highly recommend it.  I am not sure if barley is given the a-okay on my clean plan, but it's an ancient grain so I am saying oh yeah.

Hope you like it.

1 comment:

D said...

Great to see you blogging again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails