23 December 2013

The red soup

At one point in time, I used to eat a lot of borsht but it was always the stuff in the bottles and it was farily purple. I loved it. I dreamed up this easy recipe tonight to use up some of the beets in the fridge. Traditionally it's made with cabbage but my body doesn't agree with it very well so I left it out.  It should be served with a dollop of sour cream but I didn't have any. No matter, it was super delicious.

  • 1 large beet, 2 medium, or 4 small - peeled and grated
  • 1 large carrot - peeled and grated
  • 1 medium potato = peeled and grated
  • 1 piece of celery - finely sliced
  • half an onion - finely sliced
  • 2 cloves of garlic - crushed
  • 4-6 cups of beef broth
  • juice of about a half of a lemon
  • 1 tablespoon dried dill
  • salt and pepper to taste
Basically you throw everything into a pot of boiling broth and let it cook for half an hour. Serve and eat. Nutritious and delicious. And it's a great colour. The picture does not do it justice.



2 comments:

Sally said...

This looks awesome. If I made it with cabbage, how much would I add?

gjc said...

Maybe a cup

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails