11 November 2007

Ireland -- the Bad.

I have narrowed 'the bad' down to only two spots. And in reality, neither was truly hideous, but neither was it lovely.

The first was in Doolin. Doolin is a small town with very little going on except that it's near the Cliffs of Moher, is a traditional music hub, and wildly relaxing. It has a good vibe, and no one is going to argue with that.

At one of the three pubs, I ordered vegetable lasagna. Sounds innocent enough. And it could have been.


Okay. Lasagna. Chips. Salad. Let's go back to the chips. CHIPS. Excellent.

Let's go back to the lasagna now. So it looks pretty normal. But when I cut into it, it had vegetables, as advertised. Cheese, as expected. Noodles, also to spec. But the vegetables were in this sort of odd brown gravy sauce, not really tomato-ish, but not totally not tomato. Very weird. But the chips were great.

The next day we were in the town of Lisdoovarna, which I believe was the inspiration for the movie 'the Matchmaker' and I was trying to sort out my credit card being turned off by the fraud squad at my bank on a pay phone. We walked across the street to this pub and asked if there was an ATM in the town. No. There's not. And there's not one any closer than like 30 km's away. But, we were told that there was a traveling bank where we could get some cash later. We decided to eat in the pub.

I ordered the chicken sandwich. With chips. Chips were a very big part of this trip!!! The sandwich wasn't bad, but, well, it wasn't good either.

I do have to say that I love the array of condiments with every meal. See what I mean???


It's all good when there are cute condiments.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails