18 January 2009

Dinners...

As I mentioned in an earlier post, G and I have embarked on the South Beach Diet. It's been good so far, we've finished Phase I and had some weight loss. Mine might be a bit over the top because I was sick and didn't eat for four days, but whatever works!

We've been cooking an enormous amount at home. I should say that G's been cooking a lot, but I have had my moments....

First up... Italiano.

This was a pretty easy dinner. You take a chicken breast and brown it on one side, flip it over to let the other side cook. Spread on spag sauce of your choosing and grate some cheese. Let cook. For sides, we made a zuke and mushroom saute with a green salad. It was a good dinner, really delicious.

We also had chili one night...


Lots of beans and meat... stewed together with onion and peppers and tomatoes then topped with aged cheddar and sour cream. A really nice dinner.

When we were out at the grocery store, we ate a lovely shwarma salad...


Salad might be a bit of an overstatement. It was essentially an enormous plate of meat with some shredded lettuce, sliced tomato and sauce. It was pretty good, but it took AGES to get to us... we think we tripped them up with the no rice no bread issue.

G made a really good smoked turkey and lentil soup...


It was amazing. FULL of veggies, which is pretty good since I don't eat lots of veggies unless pushed.

Soooooo.... the South Beach Diet. Biggest complaint is the amount of aspartame you're supposed to eat. I just don't do it. I have found that by cutting out the sugar and everything in my day to day food (no processed bread, pasta, etc), I can really taste the aspartame in anything, especially diet coke. G has splenda in her tea and she hates it. Plus, I am not keen on eating all the low-fat cheeses and whatnot because they have no flavour. So, it's a slightly amended South Beach for us, and while we enter Phase 2, I know G is ready to add back some stand-bys like oatmeal, etc. More delicious dinners soon!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails