02 June 2008

And what WAS for dinner...

I am sitting here in a bit of post-procedure haze. The tests were fine, but I didn't stay hydrated enough over the course of the "cleansing" and so I am feeling really not-so-great today from the sedatives and everything. But, biopsies were performed and we will know what's going on in ten days. Ten days! I wanted to walk out of there with an action plan, not a 'we'll know better in ten days' lack of an action plan. But such is life, I suppose.

Anyway, I thought I would post about some of last weeks delightful meals. Last week was a bit hectic for me. It was the first one without my assistant, and it had a fair number of stressful moments, but G saw to it that we had some tasty grub...



Case in point. This delightful cheese covered plate of pasta was part of my effort to continue keeping the gluten in me in preparation for my today's tests. And I succeeded on this front. We bought some wonderful fresh pasta at the fresh pasta place at the St. Lawrence Market, along with one of their "mixed" sauces with tomato, alfredo and pesto mixed together. It was spicy and delicious! I don't know the name of that place, but it's not a proper stall, and there are a million kinds of pasta.

I also had a craving for a bean stew. Now you may ask, why in the name of G-d, when it's finally starting to be warm outside would you crave a bean stew? And I say? The stomach wants what it wants. Full stop.

This recipe came from G's Sephardi cookbook from Harare, it's quite simple. You brown the meat, cook the onion, put the beans in, some water, salt and pepper, lemon juice and you cook it until it's done. Wow. That's the best kind of cooking. And a big plate of rice to boot. Yum yum yum!

And then... dinner one night was out of this world. G's work friend had mentioned that she lived in the Polish part of Toronto, and knew of this great store to buy pierogies. G asked if she wouldn't mind picking some up for us, as our love of the pierogie is legendary. (Okay, maybe it's only legendary to us, but still, it's vast). So I came home from work around 8pm, and look what was waiting...


Pierogies and fresh fresh fresh Ontario asparagus. G sauteed some onion to put on top. It was absolutely delicious!!! I love fresh Ontario asparagus. It's so flavorful and really raises the game on what asparagus should taste like. These were fatty asparagus, but they were absolutely lovely.

So all in all, G made sure that for most of last week, we had good home-cooked meals. She's good like that. Me? I love to cook, but honestly, the thought of doing dishes just makes me want to scream and run for the covers. But the goal is to keep eating at home more than we eat out.

Now I say this as I have just made a delivery order from the Thai place around the corner. I made the order though because my new favorite comfort food when I am sick is Tom Yum Kai soup. And I have tried, but I can't seem to make it. My stomach is a little upset from the procedures this morning, and I really want that soup. So there. Tomorrow is a new day.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails