15 June 2008

Vegetarian Night -- It's good (honest!)

I am in love with all of the food magazines that I read. Some months, it's a total throw-away and I find nothing that I really want to make. But then other months, pages are dogeared and grocery lists are made as I am reading.

We have been having a Vegetarian Night once a week with our friends from upstairs, and while there have been a few things I would not necessarily eat again, we've had lots of luck. But the May issue of BBC GoodFood really made me smile.

There was a recipe for Roast Veggie Moussaka with Feta that looked pretty delicious, and I was really keen to give it a go. Unfortunately, duty called and I was at work much later than I had anticipated. G stepped up and made the dinner, which turned out absolutely fantastic. I took some not so great photos, but I do what I can...



Can you see it through all the steam?! It was really pretty easy, though not particularly fast. G said that everything took longer to make then the recipe said, but... I am posting it for you anyway, because it's just so good and easy that everyone will love it...

Roast Veggie Moussaka with Feta

2 yellow peppers, cut into chunks
2 red onions, cut into wedges
2 medium courgettes, thickly sliced
1 large eggplant, cut into chunks
1 tbsp olive oil
3 oz feta
1 egg
200 ml tub Greek yogurt
700g bottle of passata
2tbsp chopped fresh oregano or 2 tsp dried

1. Heat oven to 200C. Scatter the vegetables into a large roasting roasting tin. Toss with the oil, season then roast for 25 mins until softened (actually took about 40ish minutes).
2. Break up the feta with a fork, then mix well with the egg, yogurt and seasoning. When the vegetables are ready, tip them into an ovenproof dish, then stir in the passata and oregano. Spoon over the creamy topping, turn up the oven to 220C, then bake for 20-25 mins until the filling is hot and topping is brown and bubbly. (G said that this took about 35 minutes with a quick whack under the broiler).


It's really good, and fairly easy, and a great way to get all your veg in one go! Our sauce wasn't quite as thick, and G used more feta, and it was all just a good dinner!!!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails