18 October 2008

Thanksgiving!

I know I have said it before, but one of the great things about living in Canada and being American is that you get to have TWO (count 'em TWO) Thanksgivings.

Thanksgiving this year was a very low-key affair. We had dinner on Sunday at a friend of G's, and it was quite lovely and traditional. Turkey, stuffing, potatoes, green bean casserole. It was all good, with good company and I enjoyed it immensely.

G was under the very large misapprehension that this dinner would quench my desire for Thanksgiving dinner. How wrong she was. So on Thanksgiving Monday, I made a turkey, wild rice stuffing, potatoes, green beans, and homemade cranberry sauce. G's parents and her brother Neal came over to join us, and it was a really nice time.


It's all there, and look at all that veg. Go me! I overcooked my turkey by a solid half hour but the beauty of cooking it in the oven roast bag is it that it didn't matter! The turkey stayed moist and delicious!

Hang on, let me back up. We buy those oven roast turkey bags. I can't find the kind online that we use, but you can find them at the grocery store. Essentially, you shake the bag with flour, put in the turkey, add some veg if you wanna, and seal her up and put her in the oven. You never baste the turkey, you never need to add extra butter or oil (we didn't add any this time, even before it went in the bag in order to see if it was missed, and it wasn't!), and the turkey gets nice and brown, juicy inside, and it's really fantastic.

I want to try brining a turkey and I wonder how that will work in the bag, all that brine just recirculating in the bag.... mmmmm....

Anyway, I made the wild rice stuffing, which was very good. We had lots of leftovers, so after taking some out for two lunches, I froze the rest to have one day when we roast a chicken or something. And the cranberry sauce was amazing. G's dad loved it!

The next day, I fulfilled my fantasy of making the mythical Thanksgiving Leftover Sandwich.


Oh yeah! Turkey, mashed potato, stuffing and cranberry sauce. Yum. This was a really good sandwich, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in such things.

The pumpkin cookies? Meh. They weren't flavourful and I doubled the amount of spice. But they were pretty...


Otherwise, it was a good thanksgiving! We are going to go to the Democrats Abroad's US Thanksgiving dinner this year, which I am very excited about! And then I plan on making another Thanksgiving dinner. But this one might be beef. Stay tuned....

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails