04 August 2008

Tacos for your troubles...

At the St. Lawrence Market a couple of weeks back, we browsed past a booth in the farmer's market that caught our eye. The booth was full of people who were "trying out" their new food products, giving samples and making sales, as part of some cooperative.

Intriguing, no?

The first thing we tried (and bought) we're some fantastic chorizo empanadas...which I don't have a picture of...

Then, we tried some amazing tortillas...

So the gist of these tortillas is as follows... they are almost totally cooked. So, when you are ready to eat them, you finish cooking them lightly over the heat. They get a lovely puffier, a little browner, and are soft and wonderfully fresh tasting. Alba Lisa Gourmet Mexican Rustic Corn Tortillas rocked our breakfast...

So a little tortilla... a little freshly made guac, a little bit 'o scrambled egg, a little low-fat sour cream, and a little fresh salsa... wrapped up to the point that you could barely contain it all inside...

Oh yeah.

I know I have discussed before my love of Mexican-ish food for breakfast... I think it must be genetic. My Mom has said that when she was a kid, she used to eat tamales out of the can for breakfast... Now, I can't say I have ever had a tamale from the can (though the idea doesn't totally gross me out), I can say that I love savoury food for breakfast. I often eat left-over spaghetti, macaroni cheese, or some other assorted savoury delicacy for breakfast... Ooh, and last week offered a good savoury breakfast... left-over BEET RISOTTO!!!

I don't know why the red beet risotto works flavour-wise, but it totally and completely does. It's G's recipe that she invented after having something similar at Mistura. Though we were surprised to learn in the chef's cookbook that he only uses beet juice in his risotto. G uses actual beets that she cooks down and puts slivers of in the risotto. G - 1, Mistura - 0.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails